The security add-on is optional, but in general, it is a good idea to turn it on. Because, you store your personal details like Addresses, Phone Number, Bank and Credit Card details on it. Nowadays, most of the websites including Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. are giving 2-step verification to secure your account. However, if they are providing a facility for us, we should use it.
What is Two-Step Verification on Amazon?
You need your email address and password to login to your account. The 2-step authentication is an extra layer of security to enter into your account. After putting your login credentials, Amazon will send you a random security code to your given mobile number. You have to put the correct 6-digit to access your account. Or, you can use a random code generated by an authentication app, like Google Authenticator or Authy.
- How to Enable Two-Step Verification on WhatsApp
- How to Create App-Specific Passwords for iCloud
- How to Edit Hosts File in Windows 10
Suppose, in anyway someone knows your password and tries to access your account, then he or she wouldn’t get access. Because, after knowing your login details, he or she has to put the one-time password to log in successfully. This makes sure that anyone won’t be able just to imagine your password is “123456” and gain access to your account; they’ll also need to steal your phone.
How to Set Up and Enable Two-step Verification on Amazon
The procedure to set up two-factor authentication for Amazon is simple, but most of the people don’t know about this. Unfortunately, you can’t enable it by using the official app on Android or iOS. You’ll need to use a desktop browser to see the option. If you want to use your mobile browser to do the same, then you have to enable desktop view for Amazon website. So, without wasting your time, let’s get started.
Note: Here I am using Amazon.in to show you the process. But, you can do it with other domain extensions also.
1) Open Amazon.com from your smartphone or computer’s web browser and log into your account.
2) Now, click on your Name to open your Account settings.
3) Next, under Account Settings, click on “Sign in and Security” Settings.
4) Here, you have to click on the “Edit” button, which is next to the “Advanced Security Settings” section.
5) On the next page, click on “Get Started” button to start Amazon two-step verification process.
6) Here, you have to put your mobile number and click on “Please send code” button.
7) Now, a verification code will be sent to the given mobile number. Enter it and then click on “Please verify code and continue” button.
8) Next, you have to add a backup method. You can do it by using three methods; SMS, Voice Call or Authenticator App. If you choose the first method, then you have to add another mobile number which can be verified using SMS or Call.
9) It may ask you to log into your account again. After that, you can put the verification code to enable 2-step verification on Amazon.
10) On the final step, tick on the “This device does not require codes” option and click on “I got it. Please turn on the Two-Step Verification” button. If you sign in to your account on your device more often, then you should use this setting.
How to Enable Amazon Two-Step Verification with Authenticator App
This is the alternative method to enable 2-step verification for Amazon account. If you don’t want to use your phone number to get the one time password, then you can use an Authenticator App to verify your identity. If you were in a situation where you can’t access your number, then this could help you a lot.
Note: In this tutorial, I am using Google Authenticator app, but you can also use Microsoft and Authy for this purpose.
1) Visit Amazon.com → Your Account → Sign in & Security Settings. Here click on “Edit” button next to Advance Security Settings → Get Started.
2) Now choose the “Authenticator App” option.
3) Next, you have to scan the QR code with your smartphone using the installed Authenticator app.
4) It’ll give you a 6-digit verification code. Put the code to verify your account. That’s it.
In this way, you can easily activate two-step authentication for your Amazon account. The second method is easy and recommended if you don’t have two numbers.
How to Disable Two-Step Verification on Amazon
If you don’t like this feature or for any reason want to disable, then follow the below procedure to deactivate it on your account.
1) Visit Amazon.com → Your Account → Sign in & Security Settings. Here click on “Edit” button next to Advance Security Settings.
2) Now click on “Disable” button.
3) If you have enabled with your mobile number, then you have to put the one-time password again. Or, if you have enabled it using the Authenticator App, then you can do it without any code.
4) After putting the code, click on the “Disable” button once again. That’s it.
This was the procedure on how to enable Amazon Two-Step verification to enhance account security. I always prefer to an addition layer of safety for my online accounts. If you want to avoid account theft, then you should enable this feature now.